What struck me, while gathering up these pictures, is how often the dining area was the centerpiece in these house tours, the picture that gave you a snapshot of the home's flavor, the homeowner's personality and their style of entertaining. It's something to keep in mind when furnishing your own dining area: Are you informal? A little old school? A modern traditionalist? Casual? Look at your dining area and see what it says about your home.
- Nana's Warm and Modern Family Home: Right now, I'm loving mismatched chairs and this version, which combines modern classics around a long rectangular table, keeps it fresh and casual.
- John & Sophie's Modern Desert Home: pairs a round table with matching chairs. The simple neutral table and matched chairs means furniture doesn't compete with the commanding view.
- Dante's Charming Spanish Flat: Dante pairs her solid farmhouse style table with a chair and a bench, inviting it to be used in other ways as well -- a place for crafting, for homework or just for a casual chat.
- Cory & Nick's Compact Hillside Home: Here's another case where the simple table and matching chairs let the furniture speak quietly while focusing the attention on the scenery.
- LonAnne's Vintage and Modern Texas Charmer: By keeping it all orange, it takes a moment before you realize that there's actually two kinds of chairs pulled up around this bright Formica table.
- Philip & Leona's Wide Open Loft: Another example of how matching chairs and a simple table keep the focus on the view, even if the view is of your spectacular space and not what's going on outside of your window.
- Brooke & Sam's Skyscraper Loft: Casual stools pulled up around a chef's table in the kitchen encourage guests to gather around while a meal is being prepared. Is there anything more relaxing, informal and inviting than this arrangement?
- Steven's Relocated Beach Cottage: This eating area, with its soft bench seating, light chair and bright color, is as homey, bright and cheery as your favorite corner diner.
- Michael & Benjamin's Modern Contemporary Apartment: A high table and high stools have the informal air of a gastropub with its promise of good times shared with good friends.
- Jason & Denise's Warm and Bright Ranch: Two benches pulled up to a bright red table is fun, cheerful and warm.
Images: as linked above