Name: Geneva S
Rating: Strong Recommend*
Being the winner of the 2010 I.D. International Design Magazine Consumer Products Award surely piqued our interest in this diminutive audio system (at least compared to the other larger models in the Geneva lineup). Would it sound as good as it looked? Coming from a family of higher end siblings, like the Model L at $999 and $1,199 Model XL, this $299 unit seemed almost like a bargain...
A fine mesh metal grille gives the front of the Geneva S a pleasing front facade; painted in the same color as the case, a hidden 4 digit LED display that will reveal itself to display the time (in 24HR format only!). It's a nice touch to see the display disappears when the unit is turned off and re appears when on.
One feature sure to turn heads is the motorized dock. When the unit is off, there's a cover on top of the dock. When you select the iPod as a source, a motorized dock appears from beneath, making a 180 degree rotation in order to expose it. Hi-end Italian race cars' headlamps comes to mind with such an inventive way to hide the dock connector while not being used. One of our favorite features.
But we came up with our own wireless solution, managing to fit a microscopic Bluetooth adaptor made for Sprint, plugging it into the 30 pin dock. Power is supplied by the Geneva S and pairing our device proved to be as simple as one click. After that, we enjoyed music sans wires or without the need to dock our digital audio player. Sound quality takes a bit of hit using this method, but it was totally acceptable for a non-audiophile.
The Geneva S is an extraordinary speaker system that ticks the right checkmarks: crafmanship, sex appeal/design, sound quality and "wow factor". If what you need is an unobtrusive iPod system that you can place it almost anywhere, sounds good and look pretty while doing so, the Geneva S is one we highly recommend and that we've not regretted purchasing for our own listening pleasure.
- Height: 5.8" (without pedestal); 8.8" (with pedestal)
- Width: 9.2"
- Depth: 6.9
- Weight: 7.4 lbs
Model S - iPod/iPhone, FM, Speakers, Amplifier. All-in-one.
- Two full-range drivers
- Two bass ports with dynamic loudness
- Each speaker individually powered & chambered for accurate acoustics
- Two Class D digital amplifiers
- Digital radio with 6 presets
- Digital clock with alarm
- LED display for volume/mode/track/frequency/time
- iPod/iPhone Universal Dock with automatic closing for protection
- TouchLight controls - backlit, touch-sensitive
- Stereo mini line-in jack for external audio
- Remote control
- Speaker system: 2 x 3" full-range drivers
- Power Amplifier: Digital Hi-Fi amplifier (Class D) with 30 (2 x 15) Watt output
- Frequency Range: 75Hz to 20kHz (-3dB)
- Built-in Audio
- iPod/iPhone Universal Dock
- FM Radio: digital tuner with 6 presets
- Analogue Audio in
- Remote control
- iPod Dock Adapters for iPhone model(s)
- AC power cable
- External FM telescope antenna
- Table stand in brushed aluminum finish
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. This unit was purchased by the reviewer.