Location: Wichita, KS
Genevieve is our first child and we do not plan on her being the last so it was important to me to keep all major items (walls, furniture, etc.) gender neutral. I love that if our next baby is a boy, all I will have to switch out are the textiles and some accessories. I also think if you buy/make what you love, it will work.Although I obviously had a color scheme in the room- I didn't stress about things being the 'right color pink'. If I liked it, I went with it. I think it works in the end!
Our budget was teeny tiny for this room. I made everything I could. I sewed Genevieve's quilt, pillow & sock monkey. I painted the orange & pink painting and the animals on the walls. I made the wreath on the door and the origami mobile.
Genevieve loves to blow at the origami swans hanging over her during her diaper changes. Every once in a while when we are in her room she will look up at the lanterns over her crib and say "oooh wooooowwww!" It warms my heart to have that kind of affirmation from her!
There are subtle animals painted in white around the room. I wanted to paint them to add fun and whimsy to the room, but really didn't want them to be cheesy or cartoonish. I saw a room a couple of years ago on Ohdeedoh (the walls were hot pink) but have lost the link with the same treatment. I fell in love and knew I had to do it! I found images of a giraffe, sea turtle and penguin that had simple lines and then copied them to transparencies. I used an overhead projector to project the image onto the wall and then painted from those images.
• Paper Lanterns: Asian Ideas
• Crib Quilt: made by me www.etsy.com/shop/blueGiraffes
• Curtains: sheers from Ikea
• Paintings/pillows/origami swans/artwork/wreath/sock monkey: made by me (similar to what I sell in my Etsy shop, Blue Giraffes)
• Lamp: the shade is vintage and the base is an old Target lamp I dug out of our basement.
• Fabric basket: Sewing Momma
• Plate/cup/elephant figurine on shelves: Mackenzie Childs
• Crib: Ikea
• Changing table: It was a display table at my husband's work that they were getting rid of. I just switched out the drawer pulls.
• Rug: COSTCO
• Rocking Giraffe: It was a gift purchased at a local shop named Trios
• Rocking chair: it's the chair my Mom rocked me in!
• Paint color: Ionic Sky by Behr
Thanks Michelle! Readers, say hi to Michelle at lifebygrace.
(Images: Samantha Miller Gott)