Summer seems to be in full swing here in the Northeast and one of the downsides of the warm weather is the folks that congregate outdoors late at night underneath your open windows. As city dwellers that have, since the heat wave arrived, not been able to sleep through the night thanks to the noise, we are quite keen on looking for tech solutions to the late night noise pollution problem.
SimplyNoise This site offers a free white noise maker in addition to a $0.99 iPhone and Android app.
Sound Oasis Travel Sound Therapy System Built for travel, this portable white noise machine is great for tiny nightstands in tiny urban apartments. $90
White Noise App One of the most highly rated white noise apps in the App Store, White Noise is available for the iPhone, Mac, Android, Blackberry, and WinPhone platforms. $2 and free (lite version)
Sound + Sleep Ecotones Duet This white noise machine has a feature called "Adaptive Sound Technology" which purportedly listens and reacts to the environment.
- Pzizz Sleep One of the white noise/ sleep apps that we turn to on a regular basis, this app creates a new unique soundtrack for you to fit the time you selected that will lull you into a deep sleep. In addition to the iPhone app, Pzizz also has a software application for Mac and PC that creates audio soundtracks. $6
- HoMedics SS-2000 This slightly alien looking white noise machine has 6 nature sounds and a 15, 30, and 60 minute auto off timer. $20
- Dreambot This free app helps you to sleep by providing a variety of relaxing soundscapes.
- Sound Oasis Deluxe Sound Therapy System With 20 main sounds and 5 mix sounds and patented "Sleep Enhancement Technology," this device is possibly the Cadillac of white noise machines. $150
- Ambiance Available for the desktop, iOS, Android, and Blackberry platforms, this app contains over 1000 sounds which you can use to create custom mixes. $3 and free (desktop)
- Sound Oasis S-550-05 With the ability to run off of either batteries or AC power, this white noise machine is easily portable. $48
What do you use to block out noise?