New Englanders may freeze in the winter, but once summer arrives we enjoy an embarrassment of riches when it comes to escapes in our own backyard. Here are a few of the hotels we've featured in the past that are worth a second look, especially since they are all less than 3 hours from Boston.
1. Hidden Pond Cottages (Kennebunkport, Maine): The grounds of this grown-up summer camp include an organic farm from which guests are free to forage ingredients for cooking in the cabins' well-designed kitchens — or better yet, let a personal chef do it for them.
2. The Stone House (Little Compton, Rhode Island): The recently renovated historic hotel features luxurious modern and environmentally conscious amenities, plus access to some of the most beautiful beaches in the country (in our opinion).
3. The Ames Hotel (Boston): For a seriously luxurious escape without leaving the city, check out this recently opened and impeccably designed hotel right near downtown Boston.
4. Porches Inn at MASS MoCA (North Adams, Massachusetts): Not only does this stylish inn, consisting of six connected 1890s Victorian rowhouses, offer easy access to MASS MoCA, one of our favorite cultural outposts, but the Berkshire lakes and mountains are a classic vacation destination.
5. The Rose Island Lighthouse (Newport, Rhode Island): Not exactly a hotel per se, but we're in love with the idea of this historic working lighthouse that allows visitors to spend the night as a turn-of-the century lighthouse keeper would have — an authentic experience down to the lack of running water and refrigerator.