Whether it's something you've been meaning to do for years (in my case, finally building a compost area!) or a fun project you hadn't thought of (pebble mosaic, anyone?), spend some quality time outdoors this weekend soaking up some vitamin D and beautifying your backyard. We've rounded up five fun, satisfying outdoor projects to kickstart your weekend. 1. Add some shade to a sunny patio with a planter umbrella stand; a concrete center makes the stand super-sturdy, and plants fill the top to hide the umbrella sleeve when it's not in use.
2. Encourage bats to hang out near your house with this bat house tutorial. Need a reason to love bats? Just one of these little guys can eat more than 600 mosquitoes in a single hour!
3. Add some interest to your garden walkway with a pebble mosaic. Get creative by adding all different shapes and sizes!
4. If you have a big strong tree in your yard with an overhanging limb, it's just begging for a tree swing; not just for kids, this swing seats two adults!
5. This compost bin was designed by horticulturists at the University of California Cooperative Extension; they aimed to create a capable, efficient system that was easy to build and easy to use.
MORE OUTDOOR PROJECTS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Five Fabulous Outdoor Pallet Projects
• A Bubble Fountain DIY
• Outdoor Chalkboard
• How To Start a Compost Heap
(Images: 1. Thomas J. Story, for Sunset, 2. Wendell T. Webber, for This Old House, 3. Better Homes and Gardens, 4. Bob Jackson, for Handyman How-to, 5. Andrew Drake, for Sunset.)