Want to see a sweet home office setup? Of course you do, that's why you're here at Unplggd. So check out this rad space made to accomodate two engineers (and their cat, Eva) who work from home. We'll show you how to Get the Look.
The first thing that hit us was the snazzy yellow and gray color palette of the space (set stun-gun to 'energize'). And if you're into Feng shui (like us), you'll know that yellow is a color that is said to increase self-esteem and strengthen your overall well-being. Just what you'd want in a home office, right?
That spirit to uplift is seen again through their hand-made mural commanding attention on the main wall.
The couple put together a list of their favorite motivational quotes, and painted them on a canvas in a cool, center-justified font to pique your interest. Depending on your DIY savvy, you could make your own like them (details for their DIY is here). Or you can put your money where your mouth is and order some wall quote decals from wallsplots.com.
The office desks and cabinets are all from IKEA (with a little bit of hackery). We personally think the coolest piece is the Veine desk that flips open for business or shuts closed when the work day is done. Talk about form and function.
The couple also added a couple shelves from West Elm to store common office supplies and also display accessories that really inject their personality into the space. Aren't the erlenmeyer flasks used as vases just perfect for a couple tech nerds?
The lacquer boxes you see were modded a bit by them as well. Not able to find ones they liked in yellow, they bought these West Elm pieces and painted them with the same yellow spray can used in the quotes mural.
The white-on-grey color combo they chose for their cool Herman Miller Setu chairs (just chilling, like no big deal) also seem to really ground the whole room.
These Setu chairs are one of our favorite from Herman Miller. Featuring clean sweeping lines, a cushy knitted mesh, and an organic spine for support they really bring it.
All the little details, like paying attention to how color and contrast interact across the room, are what take this office from neat to straight $ (<-- read that as "money." I use it a lot, so get used to it). So if your work space is in need of a makeover, here's how you...
Get the Look!
- Wall Quotes Mural - DIY or wallsplots.com
- IKEA Vika Veine Desk - Flips closed to hide clutter, and streamline the place
- IKEA Aspvik Cabinet - Hides away the computer, printer, and all your other goods
- Herman Miller Setu Chairs - You're going to spend a lot of time sitting in your office chair, may as well do it right
- West Elm Shelves - Use to store small desk utilities and as a display case
- Fliqlo screensaver
- White Fluffy Cat (optional)
- Erlenmeyer Flasks
- West Elm Storage Boxes - Hide away all the little things
- Tokens of Personality - Add something subtle but unique to give people a hint of your interests
- Something live and organic - Like these Billy Balls. Colorful, fun, and minimal
[Photos: Chris Perez]