Need a space to daydream—er, work? Look no further than this octet of eco-friendly desks. From rustic to ultra-modern, they each make a chic focal point in a home office. And while some may threaten to break the bank, you can't put a price on innovation—well, at least not the harmless act of ogling it!
(Shown above the jump, from left to right)
1. Sustainably harvested oak comprises the bulk of the Shin desk ($935), a clean, modern piece with clear Asian influences.
2. Incorporating walnut, sycamore, elm, oak and yew from sustainable forests in England, artisan Allan Lake creates his appropriately named Rainbow desk (price upon request). Its sinewy, mesmerizing form recalls the great architecture of Gaudi—or the fantasyland of Dr. Suess!
3. The hand-made Stego desk (price upon request) from Clayton & Oxford is a sturdy statement in reclaimed mahogany.
4. Start 'em early! Ducduc's clean-lined Alex desk ($950) for kids features 100 percent hardwood finished with a water-based non-toxic lacquer. The white/green color way is but one of many cheery options.
5. Julio Radesca reinterprets the notion of an eco-friendly office with his Personal Fresh Air desk (price upon request), which houses air-purifying plants that are fed by the structure's internal hydroponic system.
6. The 48" Straight Desk ($399) from Legaré is made from amber bamboo and eco-friendly finishes.
7. Designers Margi Denton and William Stranger are the brainpower behind Stranger Furniture's minimalist Light Desk (price upon request), made from salvaged walnut.
8. Winner of the 2005 Adex Platinum Award, John Wiggers' curvaceous Kidney Shaped Desk ($14,050) boasts FSC-certified wood and pencil drawers made of sassafras. Shown above is the Macassar Ebony finish with inset Tuscan leather.