My favorite part of the Holidays is giving presents to friends and family. Finding that perfect, thoughtful gift for someone special is an amazing "ah-ha" moment. Equally important to me is the wrapping paper. I want it to reflect something about the recipient's tastes and show how much I care. Plus, I love channeling my inner Martha Stewart! I've found three DIY tutorials for all you crafty folks that like taking gift wrap to the next level. Nothing too fancy or expensive-just personal, resourceful and fun! • For your graphic design/typography lover pals: check out this tutorial
on ManMade. After vowing to give handmade gifts to his friends & family, wrapping them in mass-produced wrapping paper didn't seem right. ManMade created a "cool option that's clean, masculine, and maintains the typographic look of newsprint" using brown craft paper and pages from secondhand books. It's cheap, resourceful, and eliminates the need for gift tags! ManMade also generously includes downloadable templates with different fonts.
• For your art school/Andy Warhol loving friends: Because I'm Addicted and StyleHive collaborated to make this cool, geometric wrapping paper. With easy instructions, clear photos, and a video, making custom wrapping paper never looked so easy. You'll need to hit up the art store to purchase supplies, but the customized rubber stamp you create can be used over and over. This DIY is a great way to get your creative juices flowing and make Andy Warhol proud.
• For your foodie pals: Remember making stamps out of potatoes at camp and in art class? Those trusty stamps appear again here on ManMade. An easy way to repurpose those carbohydrates living in your kitchen, simply cut a potato or sweet potato in half and draw out your desired pattern. Keeping it simple, carve out the pattern, brush on a thin layer of paint, and stamp on plain craft paper. Repeat to complete your artistic vision and let dry. Voila! Be sure to remind your foodie friend that a sweet potato helped in creating the wrapping paper on their gift!
Whatever your friend or family's tastes may be, each of these tutorials offer great tips on making your wrapping paper stand out from the crowd. Now go have fun and create a visual present outside of the present!
MORE GIFT WRAP POSTS ON APARTMENT THERAPY
• Holiday Wrapping Paper Favorites
• Wrap It Up: Last Minute Gift Wrapping Ideas
• 6 Alternatives To Wrapping Paper
Images: 1-2 Manmade, 3-4 Because I'm Addicted & StyleHive, 5-7 ManMade