Since the seasons have turned, consider getting your home ready for Fall and getting inspired for Apartment Therapy's 2009 Room For Color contest that is starting today! Check out 8 ways to welcome in the cooler climate and keep cozy at home. 1. Make your entryway Fall-ready by making space for larger jackets and coats, boots and scarves. Since this is the first place you and your guests see when they enter your home, consider adding some hooks behind your door to make the best of your organizing.
2. Do an easy and affordable Fall makeover in your living room by getting new throw pillow covers. This little change will welcome in the new season.
3. Get your bedroom ready by taking your down comforter and blankets out of storage and placing them on your bed - ready to be used.
4. Your closet needs a little rotation. Take a few hours on a weekend and clear out your summer dresses and sandals and bring your warmer wardrobe to the front. Sweaters, boots, jackets can all be ready for you to enjoy.
5. Rotate your garage or storage space like you do your closet. Beach toys and pool things can now be stored nicely away and your Fall gear can be placed in the more accessible space up front. Rakes, shovels, etc can be placed foe easy use.
6. Clean out your garden by getting rid of any weeds and dead plants.
7. Your outdoor furniture needs a little Fall love to get ready for colder weather. Wash your outdoor furniture cushions with a mild soap and either store them inside or place a cover. Investing in a cover will save you on buying new outdoor furniture after a cold winter.
8. The cooler weather often inspires a more "get it done" attitude. (Maybe it's the east coast girl in me but I love that crisp Fall air even though it doesn't really get that cold in Los Angeles.) Take a look at your home office, even if you don't have a real dedicated room, where do you work, pay bills, etc? Consider creating a more efficient space for you to handle any work situations at home.
Click here for more information and contest rules about Apartment Therapy's 2009 Room For Color Contest and enter. We'd love to see your colorful homes!
(Image by Fall Colors 2008 Semi-Finalist Chris & Kendra's Eyeball Tickler)