Name: Gillian Lawtie (GWC) and Christopher Currie (Photography)
Location: East End; Glasgow, Scotland
Size: 2 Bedrooms
Years lived in: 1.5 years; Rented initially before buying last year
Chris and Gillian's home is flooded with light and punctuated with flashes of bold color. It is full of life, and feels fresh, young and energetic. The building itself is renowned in Glasgow — an astonishingly beautiful carpet factory (yes, carpet factory) that was converted into spacious and bright apartments ten years ago. A perfect first home.
Chris and Gillian live together and work together. I guess they like each other quite a lot. Each well versed in the creative industry (Chris' background is in photography, and Gillian's in fashion and textiles), they now make a winning wedding photography team. When they aren't holed up in their pretty pad editing photographs, they are travelling the length and breadth of the UK documenting big days, and running the Glasgow Wedding Collective — a way of bringing together exciting, independent and vintage suppliers, and showcasing all that is good and unique in the industry throughout Scotland. With such a keen eye for design and color, their home is adorned with cheerful things they love — items they have picked up on their travels, reminders of great experiences and pieces rescued from their hometowns up North.
Their pug, Bertie, clearly adds a whole new dimension in the home-style stakes.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Eclectic. A mix of modern, found & retro pieces. Colorful and somewhat chaotic!
Inspiration: From rummaging flea markets! Each new object inspires the next.
Favorite Element: The bright open living spaces.
Biggest Challenge: Ripping out a very 'changing rooms' 90s bathroom that leaked everywhere and fixing the previous owners attempts at DIY!
What Friends Say: It's a great flat for parties (and they love the spare room!)
Biggest Embarrassment: The lack of our own photographs on the wall!
Proudest DIY: The beetroot colored sink cabinet which was a bland and boring Ikea white.
Biggest Indulgence: The stripy loveseat that we didn't need, couldn't afford and didn't have room for, and the massive custom made roller blinds to keep the place cool in summer!
Best Advice: Pick up pieces as you go wherever you go. An eclectic home is a long-term project that tells a story.
Dream Sources: Crate & barrel, Anthropologie, Room & Board, sofa.com, Milnerton Flea, Cape Town & Mauerpark Flea, Berlin.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- Wickes: Earl Grey
- B&Q: Tropical
- White dresser: Galashiels Salvation Army
- Blue rug: Urban Outfitters
- Persian Rug: ebay
- Shoe Rack: Ikea
- Rag rug: Ikea
- Wooden dresser: Anstruther Antiques
- Lamp: Ikea
- Bowls & Prints: Millnerton Flea, Capetown
- Prints on Walls: Egon Schiele & scrapbooked
- Round rug: Urban Outfitters
- Striped Loveseat: M&S
- Grey Couch: Ikea
- Cushions: Ikea
- Wooden Side tables & chest: Family heirlooms
- Red angelpoise: Ikea
- Wooden Storage unit: Anstruther Antiques
- Black Leather Chair: Salvaged
- Blue fabric chair: Ruthven Lane Antiques
- Engine stool: Salvaged
- White bookcase: Ikea
- Coffee table: Ikea
- Footstool: Dyed Ikea
- TV Stand: Ikea
- Frames: Halcyon Gallery, Anstruther
- Star Light: Egypt
- Yellow lamp: George
- Paper lamps: Ikea
- Flowers & Plants: Sparrow & Rose
- Table & Chairs: Ikea
- African Mask: Capetown
- Wine rack: salvaged
- Kettle & Toasters: Sainsburys
- Bin: John Lewis
- All furniture: Ikea
- Pillows covers: vintage
- Prints: Etsy, musuems & gigs
- Frames: Halcyon gallery & salvage
- Necklace holder: Urban outfitters
- Bed: free cycle
- Curtains: Ikea dyed
- Bedside: Love Salvage, Glasgow
- Sofa: made.com
- Coffeetable: family heirloom
- Bed throw: Salvaged
- Rug: Ikea
Ikea bathroom unit (painted)
Baskets: Millnerton flea, Capetown
Thanks, Chris and Gillian!
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
(Image credits: Lizzie Ford)