When I spotted Moroccan inspired designs on trend forecasts almost a decade ago, I wondered how long it would last. Forever, duh. Moroccan tile designs have persevered through the ages.
Like any easily adaptable trend, Moroccan inspired designs have found their way into the collections of almost every major home retailer. And like any easily adaptable trend, some are better than others. While authentic wares will always reign supreme, some of the big boys have got it right.
A word of caution: the key to keeping a room feeling fresh and not too faux-global is to incorporate one or two of these Moroccan elements, not all of them. Here are some of my favorites:
1. Posh Living's Amal Moroccan Storage Ottoman. I like Moroccan poufs as much as you, but I really like the casters and storage element to this versatile little ottoman.
2. Anthropologie's Tifelt Tiled Sheet Set. Embroidery can be a fussy affair, but this two-tone design adds the perfect amount of punch.
3. The Rug Company's Cowhide Morocco. This rug rolls three of the year's top rug trends into one: hide, patchwork, and Moroccan. I love the tiled effect as well as the "aged patina look" that the natural variations of the hides give.
4. Nordstrom's Vagabond Vintage Moroccan Appetizer plates. I'm a classic white dish kind of girl...except when it comes to cocktail hour. Break out the pattern! And these are pretty enough to use on the wall too.
5. SomerTile's Morocco 2.5 in Blue Porcelain Mosaic Tile available through Overstock.com. Spice up a backsplash without breaking the bank.
6. Pottery Barn's Moroccan Pendant. Aside from tile, intricate lighting is probably the first image that the word Morocco conjures up in my mind. Can you imagine the awesome shadows these make?
7. West Elm's Organic Sculpted Diamond Bath Towel. Subtle raised pattern that can add just enough flair to a modern bath.
8. Frontier's Moroccan Mediterranean Blue Handwoven Wool Rug available through Zinc Door. There are many takes on this tile-inspired rug, but this one hits the perfect blue.
9. Zgallerie's Mimosa Reversible Bedding. Clean enough to punch up a modern space, and youthful enough to enliven a traditional one.
10. Restoration Hardware's Weathered Zinc Single Fez Mirror. Two of my favorite things: zinc and quatrefoil, in one huge statement mirror. Commanding without being fussy.
(Images: as linked above)