Look for vintage puzzle blocks at thrift shops, on eBay or Etsy vintage like this set
Perhaps the only thing not to like about puzzles is all those pieces (lose just one and it's a huge bummer). Consider block puzzles instead which have far fewer pieces, make great decor on a shelf and, best of all, are six puzzles (or more) in one.
Above are ten of the best looking ones we could find for different age groups including an open-ended set (by Miller Goodman) to let a child really get creative. And, of course, you could make your own if you are the artsy-crafty type.
A few resources for making your own:
• Wood cube blanks in varying sizes at Casey's Wood
• Seedling's design-your-own 9 block puzzle kit ($40)
DIY PUZZLE BLOCK INSPIRATION ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Turn Beat Up Books Into Beautiful Blocks
• Make Mega Blocks With A Designer Twist
• DIY Painted Block Puzzle
• How To: Puzzle Blocks From Vacation Photos