Perhaps the only thing not to like about puzzles is all those pieces (lose just one and it's a huge bummer). Consider block puzzles instead which have far fewer pieces, make great decor on a shelf and, best of all, are six puzzles (or more) in one.
Above are ten of the best looking ones we could find for different age groups including an open-ended set (by Miller Goodman) to let a child really get creative. And, of course, you could make your own if you are the artsy-crafty type.
A few resources for making your own:
• Wood cube blanks in varying sizes at Casey's Wood
• Seedling's design-your-own 9 block puzzle kit ($40)
DIY PUZZLE BLOCK INSPIRATION ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Turn Beat Up Books Into Beautiful Blocks
• Make Mega Blocks With A Designer Twist
• DIY Painted Block Puzzle
• How To: Puzzle Blocks From Vacation Photos