I am always drawn to rooms that manage to embody striking contrasts, particularly those that include pieces from diverging and even incongruent historical styles. In these rooms, ornate and elaborate frames and mirrors bring a playfulness and sense of drama to rooms that are otherwise dominated by contemporary or modern furnishings. In some cases, this kind of whimsical wall art is just one of many original pieces that together make the rooms dance with eclecticism. Whether considered Baroque or Rococo in style, these frames and mirrors offer a dose of luxury and grandeur. While Rococo or Baroque chairs or sofas may be too over-the-top and dominating, a mirror or frame or other accessory is the perfect vehicle for expressing your more eccentric and dramatic side.
I am hardly an expert at distinguishing baroque and rococo frames but for those who are interested, rococo tends to be more ornate and florid than Baroque, its historical predecessor. Grand and dramatic, the Baroque style was dominant in Europe in the 1600s and early 1700s under the reign of the French king Louis XIV. Baroque furniture and accessories are typically lavish, imposing, symmetrical, and formal. Moving into the 18th century, Baroque designs were gradually replaced by the more lighthearted, intricate and florid designs of the Rococo style, also known as Louis XV style for the monarch who took the throne. More optimistic, lighter and playful, Rococo furniture, frames and mirrors were highly ornate and flamboyant. Shell, plant and floral motifs were common, as were C scrolls and S scrolls.
• 1 House of Bliss. I love everything about this room, from the mix of old and new and the over the top elegance of the mirror paired with the casual informality of the floor pillows. Come to think of it, I love everything about this blog!
• 2 Everything LEB.
• 3 House of Bliss.
• 4 House of Bliss.
• 5 Living etc.
• 6 Beautiful Kitchen But Is it Practical? House Beautiful.
• 7 Randal’s Regal Rooms: House Tour.
• 8 House of Bliss.
• 9 Kevin’s Creative Commerancy: House Tour
• 10 Holiday Card Holders.
• 11 inspiration: Unique Collection Displays
• 12 Flickr Finds: Unique Mirrors Add Architectural Interest
• 13 Mirror, Mirror on the...Mirror: The Art of Layering Mirrors. Here mirrors are layered upon each other for a dramatic and luxurious effect.
• 14 House Tour: Darrell’s Quaker Quest.
• 15 Windlost.
Images: credits as linked above