Growing up in California, the beach has always been a part of my lifestyle. My apartments have always been filled with beachy flair — even when located nowhere near the beach! More recently, in order to compromise with my husband…I've had to take it down a notch in our home. Instead of a turning our home into a pink and green Palm Beach Bungalow (which I've been inclined to do in the past), I've chosen a more refined beach route with touches of seagrass, clusters of seashells and tiny doses of stripes.
Looking for a sprinkling of sand in your space? Here are a 5 seaside elements to add a bit of beach to your home:
1. Seashells The beach accessory for your home. Collect them yourself or search for larger varieties at local flea markets.
2. Seagrass Whether it be a basket, rug, or chair — a little seagrass goes a long way in adding tropical flair to your pad.
3. Stripes Bold stripes are an instant way to add nautical charm to any room. IKEA has a great summer collection of colorful striped runners, hammocks and throw pillows. Unfortunately, you have to wade through the crowds, as IKEA's seasonal items are not available online.
4. Sailboats Or any beach-inspired decor. I like to shop local garage sales in beachy neighborhoods for affordable vintage coastal finds. Etsy is another great place to find handmade seaside decor.
5. Swaying Palms A few well placed palm fronds in a sleek white vase may be all the beach you need. Buy a potted palm at Home Depot so you don't have to "borrow" clippings from your neighbor.
Images: 1. The Surf Lodge;2. Bear Hill Interiors;3. Coastal Living;4. West Elm;5. Pottery Barn