Gossip benches, telephone benches, telephone tables. Whatever you call them, these adorable seat-and-table combination pieces are more than just reminders of the era of rotary dialing. Multi-taskers with a small footprint, they work well in a variety of spaces. And I am completely and utterly obsessed!Have you ever experienced love at first sight? That's the story of me and gossip benches. I didn't even know they existed until I saw Carly's Before & After of the sleek black & white chevron bench on Design*Sponge. My infatuation began.
In between bouts of obsessively checking Craigslist for my own future DIY project, I searched the Apartment Therapy House Tour archives and the depths of the internet for gossip bench inspiration. Here's what I found:
1. A charming white number from Natalie's Nob Hill studio. With only 285 square feet of space, it packs the one-two punch of extra seating and flat surface without crowding in an armchair and end table.
2. The one that started it all. Go check out the before pics at Design*Sponge — this is a major upcycle! The black! The chevron! The hardware! I love everything about it. This particular gossip bench gets around; I've seen 3 DIYs of this popular model in my searches.
3 & 4. I am having some serious gossip bench envy, because Christine & Vijay have two gossip benches in their Providence farmhouse! The first is in the entryway, gleaming walnut stain with a pop of color from the floral cushion. I'm partial to the one in the guest bedroom, though. A honeysuckle paint job and a bright, funky fabric win me over.
5. In Danny & Carlos' Chicago home, the gossip bench stands in for a pedestal. This one looks mostly unaltered from its original condition, which lends to its beauty.
6. Look at this retro refurb from Rouge! The piece itself is quite sculptural, so the classic black & white palette works nicely.
7. Though my preference is for vintage over new, this gossip bench from Jonathan Adler gives a mid-century nod to the original with this beautiful walnut and turquoise piece.
Until Boston Scavenger turns up the perfect one of these babies in my neck of the woods, I'll be pining away, wishing there were a gossip bench at the foot of my bed or in my entryway.
Do you have a gossip bench? What's your current furniture infatuation?
Images: as linked above