I don't know how I ever lived without an electric kettle. I assume I used the stovetop like a normal person, but after a few days with an electric kettle I knew I could never go back. It's faster than using the stovetop, is always ready to go, and some models let you adjust the temperature for different kinds of tea. My electric kettle is used at least three or four times a day, which is why it's the only appliance in my kitchen to have been awarded a permanent spot on the counter.
But if it's going to live out on the counter where everyone can see it, an electric kettle should be pretty. Unfortunately, Americans have a much smaller range of electric kettle choices than people living in Europe and the U.K., but there are still some good-looking ones around. Here are a few options that stand out. If you've got the line on something great, let us know in the comments.
1. Adagio UtiliTEA — Adagio, $59
2. Jura-Capresso H2O Plus Water Kettle — Amazon, $59.99
3. De'Longhi Electric Kettle — Bloomingdales, $100
4. Sunbeam Electric Kettle — Target, $19.99
5. Bonavita Electric Kettle — Roastmasters, $49.99
6. Hamilton Beach Stainless Steel Kettle — Target, $37.09
7. Russell Hobbs Heritage Kettle — Amazon, $43.05
8. Alessi Micahel Graves Electric Water Kettle — Casa, $320
(Images: As linked above)