2. Surreal Salt and Pepper Shakers by Pylones, $19: These magnetic salt and pepper shakers look 2-D, but they are actually 3-D. Available in red, black, and white, they'd look great on a tabletop or your fridge.
3. Hug Salt and Pepper Shakers by Alberto Mantilla, available at the SFMOMA store, $30: With their clever concept and visually striking design, these hugging ghost figures have quickly become iconic since their creation in 2002.
4. Mingle Salt and Pepper Set by Moritz for Sagaform, available at Unica Home, $15: Simple, elegant, and stackable stoneware make for a compact, minimalist design.
5. Bottle Grinder by Menu, available at Lumens, $49.95-74.95: The set contains two bottle-shaped grinders in ash and carbon. Designed to eliminate mess, the mill component sits on top when the grinder is not in use.
7. Fragile Salt and Pepper Shaker Set, designed by Mey Kahn and Boaz Kahn, available at DesignBoom, $39: These ceramic shakers come in a single piece, designed to be broken before use. In the words of the designers, "Breaking is an experience of impulsive outburst, but this time is an act that builds rather than destroys."
8. Bollard Salt and Pepper Mill by Designit for Skagerak Denmark, 32£: A combination of teak and stainless steel, these grinders join the natural with the handmade in a single sleek, modern design.
9. Sad Ghost by Marcel Dzama, available at Cereal Art, $75: Made in a limited edition of 2500, these porcelain shakers are based on a rather emotional character from Dzama's paintings.
10. Bird and Cloud Salt and Pepper Shakers by Daniel Jo, available at the MoMA store, $36: Simple, graphic, and cheerful, these shakers have enough character to add life to any kitchen.
(Images: as credited above)