We have a shag carpet that we're not quite sure how to rescue — after taking in two stray cats it's becoming an issue! Some research deep into the Apartment Therapy archives have uncovered some advice and tips from readers. See what we found and leave your own tips for serious carpet cleaning in the comments!
Carpet cleaning can be somewhat tricky, considering carpets comes in so many different shapes and sizes. Here's what we found:
• Good Questions: Small Apartment Carpet Cleaning Tips "I've used the Capture system with great results. I pretreated spots with a spray, then used this damp powder&mdashsimilar in texture to sawdust. I scrubbed it into the carpet with a stiff push broom reserved only for this use, then let the powder air dry for half and hour or so, then vacuum it up. It worked very well, and was considerably less expensive and faster than the steam cleaner"
• Good Questions: Inexpensive, Simple, Dog Friendly Rug "My solution to a similar dog and carpet mess issue are the FLOR tiles, I got mine from CB2 but you can order them from FLOR.com as well. The Fedora tiles are the ones I have which are low pile and washable. If my dog makes a mess I simply run it under cold water ASAP and let it air dry before putting it back in its place."
• How to Clean Stains With Shaving Cream "Did you know shaving cream can also be used to clean up spills and stains on carpets or rugs? Neither did I, until a friend mentioned it to me this weekend."
• Good Questions: Cleaning Tips for the Shag "There's a Formula 409 rug cleaner foam that you spray on, scrub in, then vacuum up."
• Good Questions: How Do I Deep Clean My Carpets "I also have dust mite allergies (and nothing else), as does my mother. I've purchased allergy-control products."
What's your advice for carpet cleaning?