David wants some help: I love everything about my apartment - except the steam heat radiators. This can't be safe, and we have a baby who is just about to start crawling. What can we do with these radiators to make them safer?
David, we have a few ideas, and hopefully our readers will chime in with their own solutions.
First up, that peeling paint has got to go! You might want to check it for lead paint though, before you do anything drastic to it, and of course, if that comes up positive, call a professional.
But lets say there is no lead paint on it. Here is what we would do.
• If your radiators have any kind of detailing on them, polychrome them!
• Cheaper and easier: Rustoleum it!
• On AT:NY, another DIY paint job.
• Expensive and time consuming: send them out to be professionally refinished. Google your city name, and 'radiator refinishing' to find a list of companies that will do this.
• Another AT link: Cover it.
What would you do, Nursery Readers? David cannot be the first parent to confront a steam radiator in rough shape.
(Note: Include a pic of your problem and your question gets posted first. Email questions and pics with QUESTIONS in subject line to: nursery(at)apartmenttherapy(dot)com)