Kate, an editor at AT's blog all about tech at home, Unplggd, is moving. She and her husband will be in the new place Saturday and she's looking for advice on where to place the furniture. She's provided all the details:
Furniture/Items for Living Room:
- Couch - 93" x 43" (that's about 7.75' x 3.5')
- Loveseat - 70" x 43" (that's about 5.75 ' x 3.5')
- Ikea Lack TV bench - 59" x 22"
- West Elm Coffee Table (in Green) - 36" circle
- 1 Floor lamp
- TBD - end tables, lamps, speakers
- Expedit Bookcase - Will either go horizontal or vertical on the bathroom wall to serve as a landing strip.
Here are the considerations:
- The cable outlet is in the lower left hand corner of the living room (indicated by the TV box on the floor plan), so if we move from that corner, wiring of some kind will be involved...but so will it also be with speakers, at least until we buy a system to make our speakers wireless
- The heat source for the room is the baseboard on the wall with the window, so putting our electronics along that wall is asking for trouble
- The wall that divides the kitchen from the living room seems like a good place to put it, but does seating work that way?
- J loves to sit closer to the TV, because it's a relatively small TV
- Eventually, we'd like to add a desk to the apartment to create a home office of sorts. In my mind, I keep picturing the corner near the cable outlet, placed on a diagonal and facing towards the room. Don't know if this is realistic.
Kate also posted her query on Unplggd, but wrote to let us know that any ideas from the AT:Chicago design hive mind would be greatly appreciated! Please let us know what you think in the comments below....