Have you ever used red paint? It is one of the most difficult colors to get right and too-few coats can easily turn streaky and almost gory. The easiest reds to live with are often more earthy and clay-like in color — and the less glossy the better. Here are some reds from the Apartment Therapy archives:
1. Mark Chamberlain suggests Benjamin Moore's Plum Raison 2082-20, Raisin torte 2083-10 to mimic the deep red of Matisse's studio.
2. Ralph Lauren's Claret is dark and sexy. Check out the same color in another room in Claret, Again.
3. Ralph Lauren's Burgandy is dark, dark, dark and a bold statement.
4. Mark Chamberlain always tries to find the reddest red in his annual highlight of a Christmas Red — this one is from Fine Paints of Europe.
5. Red Earth is clay-like and not-too-dark.