Sometimes it seems the kitchen is as much a space for cleaning as it is for cooking. There are dishes to wash, appliances to shine, and fruits and vegetables to rinse. Here are some of our best tips, products, and DIY solutions.
• Wash the dishes wisely: Learn about The Dirt on Dish Soap, Hand Wash Dishes To Conserve Water, Make the Dishwasher Eco-Friendlier, and try your hand at making Homemade Dish Soap and Dishwasher Detergent.
• Give your sponges the green treatment: Use eco-friendly sponges and disinfect them naturally. See Kitchen Sponges: 5 Tips for Greener Cleaning for products and tips.
• Make your own cleaners: Baking soda, vinegar, and a lemon are all you need to Make Your Own Kitchen Cleaners like all-purpose cleaner, garbage disposal freshener, sink or stovetop cleaner, and microwave cleaner.
• Scrub the stove naturally: Here's another tip for cleaning the stove with nothing more than hot water.
• Harness the power of lemon: Any time we're about to toss a lemon in the compost, we use it to scrub the sink or a cutting board first. Lemons can also be used to remove limescale, freshen up the dishwasher, and polish copper pots.
• Freshen the fridge: Is your refrigerator smelling a little funky? Here are some quick ways to Deodorize the Refrigerator.
• Clean your produce: Fruits and vegetables should be washed, even if they're organic. Here's How To Make Your Own Fruit and Vegetable Wash.
• Use non-toxic pest control: Ants, roaches, flies, oh my! Keep your kitchen bug-free with these tips for De-Bugging Your Kitchen and Bath, How To Prevent & Get Rid Of Pantry Moths, and How To Make a Fruit Fly Trap.
• Don't forget to clean under the sink! Check out Green Clean Makeover: Under The Kitchen Sink.
More Green Clean Makeovers:
• Green Clean Makeover: The Living Room
• Green Clean Makeover: The Bedroom
• Green Clean Makeover: Under the Kitchen Sink
• Green Clean Makeover: The Entryway
• Green Clean Makeover: The Garage
(Image: Cambria Bold)