When it comes to the closet (ok, and most other areas of the home!), we think that cleaning and organizing go hand-in-hand. That's why when we talk about green cleaning that bedroom closet, we're going to give you some organization tips as well. Here are our favorite tips, tricks, and time-tested solutions for keeping that closet sound.
1. Go through the closet once every season: For starters, check out our 10 Steps for a Closet Cleanse. Set aside clothes to donate. Take stock of what you have, and decide how you want to organize it (ours goes by color, for instance). If you find stray socks, underwear past their prime, or other items not suitable for donating, set them aside too. You can make a pet bed out of the extras, or use them as shop rags! Don't forget to weed through your shoes, too.
2. Vacuum the floor and dust off the shelves: do this before putting all your stuff back in the closet.
3. Freshen it up: Pouches of dried lavender can turn a dreary closet into a delightful one.
4. Make a green move with hangers: If you don't already own them and want to purchase some, buy matching sets for all your clothes. This will help keep things clean, organized, and uniform in the closet. Opt for recycled hangers, or make your own by recycling dry cleaning hangers.
5. Opt for eco-friendly dry cleaning services: See this post for more information on eco dry cleaning, or you could also do your own dry cleaning at home. It's easy, green, and cheap.
6. Clean regular garments with homemade laundry detergent, or another eco-friendly option: For extra-fresh smells, make your own dryer sheet.
What tips or questions do you have for doing a green sweep in the closet?
(Image: Flickr member LizMarie, licensed under Creative Commons)