Infant care classes routinely cover feeding, diapering, and bathing, but parents are left to their own devices when it comes to finding safe and effective solutions for cleaning kids and their belongings. Thankfully there are many great choices, whether you opt to buy or DIY.
At bath time, simplicity rules.
- Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Liquid Castile Soap is a great option; it's affordable, unscented, organic, non-GMO verified, and not tested on animals.
- The Honest Company has a comprehensive line of personal care products from toothpaste to bubble bath.
- DIYers love coconut oil as a moisturizer and diaper rash remedy. You can make your own bubble bath by combing a quart of water, a grated bar of castile soap, and 1.5 ounces of glycerine. Melt everything without bringing it to a boil, and add a few drops of essential oils.
What about cleaning your kid's stuff?
- Again, The Honest Company has some wonderful options.
- BuggyLove offers organic products including a stain remover, multi-purpose cleaner, and an Organic Stroller Cleaning Kit consisting of a spray refresher, stroller frame and wheel polish, stain solution, and stroller wheel lubricant.
- When it comes to laundry, Charlie's Soap and Rockin' Green are perennial favorites, especially among cloth diapering parents.
- Families who want to go the DIY route should build up a simple arsenal that includes baking soda, white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, borax, essential oils, castile soap, and olive oil. This roundup is a great starting point on DIY green cleaning for every room of the house.
(Image credits: Shutterstock)