The building that Green Depot occupies has a long history. It was originally constructed in 1885, and it was the first YMCA in NYC. It later served as a home and workspace for the artists Fernand Leger and Mark Rothko, and the beat writer William S. Burroughs. Prior to Green Depot taking over the space, the location served as a restaurant furniture supply store. The building achieved Historic Landmark status in 1998, which meant that the original shell, façade, and other features needed to be preserved during renovation. Therefore, project architects Colin Brice and Caleb Mulvena of Mapos LLC exposed and cleaned much of the original brick, as well as the white wall tile from the swimming pool area. Parts of the original wood floor were sanded and finished, and old doors and scrap pieces of wood were used to build display tables, drawers, and new doors.
Green Depot garnered LEED credits in Materials Reuse, Indoor Environmental Quality, and Energy and Atmosphere for their choice of flooring materials (cork and bamboo); the reused and recycled materials on display (such as the pair of chairs made with old hex wrenches and saws found in area antique stores, and product display tables made from reclaimed wood); the bathroom floors made with TrendQ recycled glass tile; the interior walls constructed from the building’s original brick and tile and sealed with low-emitting finishes; the custom engineered mechanical system, which utilizes a high efficiency air handler, air filter and boiler that consumes 25% less energy than similar systems; and the custom LED and fluorescent lighting fixtures by Mapos.
Congratulations, Green Depot!