Over the last several years, the City of Seattle has put together a collection of Green Home Remodeling Guides, a free resource that covers a wide range of topics. These clear, easy-to-read guides are intended for Seattle residents, but the wealth of information is a valuable asset for any homeowner.
The Green Home Remodeling Guides consist of 12 booklets available to Seattle residents, but online PDF versions are available to anyone (linked below):
(Image: City of Seattle)
- Remodel Overview - This guide outlines the benefits and process of undertaking a green remodel.
- Bath & Laundry - Bathrooms and laundry rooms are small spaces but can use a large amount of water and energy. This guide helps residents make smart decisions for these high impact rooms.
- Kitchen - The workhorse of a home, the kitchen must be safe, efficient and comfortable and this guide shows you how to get there.
- Painting - Painting is often the first line of defense in sprucing up a home. This guide covers everything from safe removal of old paint to choosing the right paint for your space.
- Lighting - In a clear and easy to understand way, this guide breaks down the different types of lighting, how they work, what makes them green and how to choose the best fixtures for different spaces and activities.
- Landscape Materials - This guide is chock full of helpful info from decks and fences to irrigation systems and garden sheds.
- Managing Rainwater - Managing stormwater runoff is a big deal for homeowners in the Seattle area. Learn how you can do your part by planting trees, installing rain gardens, and amending soils for better drainage.
- Roofing - A bad roof can be the root of all sorts of moisture and energy related problems. In this guide, learn the basics of what makes up a proper roof and how you can make it do double duty by installing solar panels or vegetation.
- Hiring a Pro - Many of the guides accommodate a DIY approach, but sometimes it's worthwhile to hire a pro - learn how in this guide!
- Salvage & Reuse Guide - Proper salvage and reuse not only helps divert materials from the landfill but can often provide an interesting story. This guide gives helpful tips and teaches residents the difference between good reuse and bad reuse.
- Do-It-Yourself Home Energy Guide - This guide provides step-by-step instructions for identifying and improving your home's energy efficiency. A diligent Do-It-Yourself Guide and tear-out checklist to record your notes will help you determine how well your home currently operates and what upgrades are needed to improve it’s energy performance.
- Green Home Buyer's Guide - If you're in the market for a new green home, this guide helps you identify green elements and understand your options.