If you’re having trouble getting that calm, peaceful sanctuary-like feeling in the bedroom, try turning to the master of calm, Zen. With the right choice of color, furniture and materials, your bedroom will be soothing retreat in no time.The keys to a Zen bedroom is minimalist, simple, and clean. Once you’ve accomplished this, your bedroom will be a comfortable and relaxing place to rest:
• Colors: Pick neutrals, earth-tones and a nature inspired colors for a relaxing background. Because simplicity is important, keep the room monochromatic by using different shades of just one color.
• Declutter: Keep accessories and tchochkes to a minimum or eliminate them altogether, as clutter can inhibit relaxation. If do choose to adorn your room, use nature: plants, water fountain and candles can contribute to a healthy and soothing environment.
• Electronics: This is a no brainer – banish all unnecessary electronics from the bedroom. No televisions or laptops, just a phone or alarm clock and perhaps and air purifier is all you should need.
• Materials: Avoid synthetics and concentrate on natural and organic materials. Incorporate wooden furniture, organic or bamboo sheets, gauzy and sheer window treatments, and healthy mattresses and pillows.
• Furniture: Pick clean, simple lines and avoid complicated detail, and excess ornamentation for décor and furniture. The furniture should be high quality and made of natural materials.
• Aromatics: A homemade linen spray, soy or beeswax candles, and essential oils are all natural ways to enhance your room with natural scents, which can not only be calming when it’s time to sleep, but also invigorating when it’s time to wake.