Last week, a charming 800 square foot home was featured on Apartment Therapy. This place is full of innovative DIYs and the coziest vibes - it's a real gem. The icing on the cake? This fabulous vintage stove purchased on eBay.
(Image: Juan Enriquez via Pietsie, Stephen and Charlie's Private Barbara Bestor Rental House Tour)
I had one. It nearly killed us all on Christmas Eve with CO poisoning. It had been installed by a pro. I'll never get another one, unless it has the guts of a modern stove and the shell of a vintage. They are pretty, but....
We have one too--they cook wonderfully! Carbon monoxide concerns are the same as with any gas appliance that has a pilot light, modern or otherwise (water heaters, stoves, fireplace inserts, etc.) assuming you have a safety valve (standard on gas ranges by the mid-50s---our 1954 O'Keefe and Merritt has its original safety in good working order---and should have been retrofitted on any older stoves still in use). The safety cuts the gas flow if the pilot goes out, which is important. Beyond that, you need to be sure the appliance is vented properly; also a good idea to check the batteries in your CO detector when you check your smoke detectors (not to mention making sure that you have a CO detector---California requires them now, but many states don't yet). We have a gas dryer, furnace, water heater and stove and haven't had any problems, though.
Oh my gosh, that stove is so beautiful!And agreeing with artoak - if you have *any* gas appliances in your home at all, then you should have CO detectors.
I really, really want one of these!
If you really want one know that it does not have modern self-cleaning oven convenience. You'll be doing it the old fashioned way, with lots of elbow grease and caustic chemicals.
I should add that the cleaning is actually one of the things I adore about ours, though (but it may vary by brand). While you do have to clean it by hand, the O'Keefe and Merritts have an oven floor with two pieces that lift out and fit into our sink for cleaning. It's very rare that anything gets onto the sides or top of the oven in spills (and I've had some bad ones---pies boiling over everywhere with burnt sugar, etc.!) But for oven floor fiascos, I just let it cool and then grab the oven floor. The smaller of the two our oven has (one forms the actual physical floor and the other sits on top to "protect" it---both are enameled metal) fits into our dishwasher, too. Not sure all vintage stoves had this feature, though (and you do have to scrub with a Brillo pad to get burnt-on food off---I usually just clean it up enough that I can stick it back in and the last bits will burn off over time, and I've learned to wrap the smaller piece with foil for quick cleanup of things that are likely to spill over).
Got a tip, home tour, or other story our readers should see?