Whether they're retrofitting old homes with eco-modern touches or going net-zero in the sleekest way ever, our readers know that tech and green are a perfect design marriage. Together, they make an unstoppable combo of nature and science that helps great-looking homes look and work better. Here are a few of our favorite power couples from House Tours and House Calls past.
1. Jessica and Jered's Solar-Heated, Stylish Home. Modern and sleek, Jessica and Jered's eco-tech abode has a planted roof and insulation made from blue jeans!
2. Helen and Frazer's Solar-Powered Beach Shack. Solar power and chemical plumbing make this cozy beachfront retreat a tiny modern marvel.
3. Joyce's Eco-Friendly Home. Old work meets new methods: This house, built on the site of another building, recycled many pieces of the original structure.
4. Mark's Zero Carbon Eco House. This minimalist beauty has a wood-pellet boiler for light and heat and a crazy smart underwater tank for harvesting rainwater.
5. Misha & Nick's First Passive House in Texas. Thick walls and stellar insulation mean this 1600 square-foot home needs a smaller AC unit.
6. Oliver & Sherrie's Mini Bronx Loft. This apartment's calm, contemporary touches are the ultimate example of green: rescued and salvaged finds.
7. Little Green House: A Whole Family in 540 Square Feet. The smart eco touches in this tiny living space include that patch of green roof and high-efficiency windows.
8. Verona and Tom's Cheery Net-Zero Modern. Talk about green tech: This Bauhaus-inspired mod dream actually generates energy.
We teamed up with our friends at Dyson to bring you the most modern and high-tech of our house tours. Stay tuned for the whole series!