Velvet is a fabric that can conjure up some pretty disparate images: You've got the Old Money traditionalism and a refined aesthetic (think elegant Victorian drawing rooms). Then there's New Money ostentation (think over-the-top opulence in a mogul's McMansion). And don't forget the "money's no object" tackiness of velvet paintings!
But to me, velvet is an incredibly versatile and glorious upholstery fabric that--when done in small doses--can bring life and personality to almost any kind of decor. Soft, inviting, and sensual, velvet sofas can soften up even the most sterile and sharp-edged room.
Here are some wonderful velvet sofas from Apartment Therapy house tours:
• 1 Suzi’s European Countrystyle Condo. I've always loved the look and feel of a single long cushion on a sofa.
• 2 Kristin’s Hollywood Home in the Historical Il Borghese. Part bohemian, part Hollywood glam, this rose colored vintage velvet couch is a showstopper. And you don't have to worry about spilling red wine on it.
• 3 Philip & Leong’s Live/Work City Space The contrast between this lively, child-like, candy-colored sofa and the deep "grown-up" brown of the walls is brilliant.
• 4 Kristy & Phil’s House of Little Treasures. The crushed velvet sofa gives a real bohemian, flea market edge.
• 5 Emily & Erick’s Modern Eclectic British Eccentric Bungalow. This charming and original chartreuse velvet sofa is just one of the many delights in this truly eclectic and funky living room.
• 6 Terri and Evan’s Blue Velvet Home. Soft blue velvet is the epitome of comfort. And its lushness provides a nice contrast with the modern geometric patterns on the wall behind it.
• 7 Elisa’s Red, White & Cozy. Can you imagine how different this room would look without this extraordinary and dramatic red velvet sofa?
• 8 Sharon & Chris’s Monochrome Wonder. This luscious grey sofa from ABC Carpet & Home is so versatile. It would look equally at home in a sleek modern setting as in an bohemian one.
• 9 David & Wade’s Cocktail Oasis. The soft dusty blue of this sofa provides a softness and warmth to this streamlined and masculine room.
• 10 Danielle’s Story Filled Home House Call. This fabulous orange chesterfield takes this traditional room to a whole new level.