For times when you don't feel like dealing with all the goop, or just as an extra bit of spookiness.
• can of pumpkin pie mix
• box cutter
• lamp cord/kit. We used the kind that goes inside a Dept. 56/Dickens Village ceramic house. These are readily found at craft shops and use an intermediate socket and a night light bulb — like you'd find on an old Christmas tree.
1 Open the can of pumpkin pie mix from the bottom and pour out the contents. If you don't want to waste it you can make a pie. Also, cats love pumpkin.
2 Peel the label off, then wash and dry the can.
3 With the can still upside-down, draw a jack-o'-lantern face on the can with a marker.
4 Using a box cutter, cut out the face and an x on top of the can.
5 Peel open the x on top of the can and put the lamp cord through it. You should either use gloves, or pliers — even a stick — and just be careful not to cut your fingers. Sometimes the lamp cords will come with a little spring mechanism which fits into a hole. Otherwise, once the socket is through and the bulb is inside the can, close the x back around the cord.
6 Put the label back on the can — you'll need a piece of tape.
7 Plug it in and turn off all the other lights.
8 Happy Halloween!
MORE WARY MEYERS GUEST POSTS
• Typography: The Influence of Lou Dorfsman & the CBS Wall
• Lypiatt Park: Lynn Chadwick's Gothic Mansion
• Cheap & Easy Upgrade: 1x2 Molding
• Red & Blue: A Color Based Collection