Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- South Boston, MA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love my home for many reasons. It’s a second floor corner unit with ten-foot ceilings and gets great light all day long. I also love that I have an outdoor space where I grill, grow herbs, and plant flower boxes. My condo is within walking distance to the city, but the best part is, I’m just a few blocks from the beach. I’ve taken my time decorating because I want 1) every piece to be meaningful and functional, and 2) to explore what my style is exactly (it’s a work in progress!). Not rushing to decorate the condo ASAP when I moved in has allowed me to create a unique, organized home that’s my right mix of traditional and modern.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- I wanted to have defined dining/living room areas that were comfortable yet functional. In a small space the details matter more, so I swapped the brass doorknobs/hinges for brushed nickel and replaced the plastic switch plates with paintable wooden plates that blend into the wall. Instead of curtains in the bedroom, which would make the room seem smaller, I had plantation shutters installed. I had an IKEA clothing system installed in my bedroom closet that’s given me 3x the space. In a small space, what goes on the walls needs to really have meaning. In my bedroom I hung a canvas photo of the Eiffel Tower that I took with my iPhone. I’ve always wanted pretty, feminine wallpaper on the wall behind my bed - the Anna French paper I hung is art in itself. I found a beautiful and affordable photo of the beach in Nice, France by an Etsy artist that I had custom framed for the living room. It means a lot to me because Nice was one of the first places I traveled to on my own after college.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- New kitchen cabinets that extend all the way to the ceiling, which will significantly increase my storage space. I'm also on the hunt for new wall decor, unique frames, original art, etc.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013