Boutique wallpaper designer Cavern offers an intriguing collection of patterns that is bold and graphical, yet still feels raw and organic, like a hand-drawn sketch. Started in 2005 by two friends on two different coasts, the Los Angeles and New York City-based studio produces a line of mostly nature and tribal-inspired wallpaper, ranging from the classic (birds perched on tree limbs) to the eclectic (tiger heads in an abstracted repeat).
In 2010, Cavern collaborated with five contemporary artists who had never designed wallpaper before, and asked them to do just that. The resulting Artist Editions are punchy, quirky, and as diverse as their designers (a roster that includes widely exhibited NYC illustrator Tom Slaughter and neurologist-cum-artist David Stark).
The panels are hand-silkscreened in Los Angeles using environmentally friendly, water-based inks.
All wallpapers are 27" W x 180" L and retail for $155 per roll. One roll covers approximately 33 square feet.
Signature collection in photos 1-6
1. Blackbird (available in white, green, brown, kraft, snow)
2. Talisman (available in moss, rust, stone)
3. Navajo (available in turquoise, mud)
4. Tigerlace (available in gold, salt)
5. Migration (available in oslo, london)
6. Thatch (available in black, canyon, silt, fog)
Artist Editions in photos 7-8
7. New York City Watertowers (available in black and white, shadow, sunset)
8. Starweave (available in winter, straw, grass, night sky)
To view more designs, visit Cavern's site.