Name: Hannah Brown of Hannah Brown Interiors
Location: Bishopston, Bristol, United Kingdom
Size: 1991 square feet
Years lived in: 4 years
Hannah Brown's home has a distinctly English charm that seems entirely appropriate to a Victorian townhouse. But this family home is anything but stuffy. By combining antiques with more modern pieces — in particular, a few well-chosen light fixtures — she's created a mix that's fresh, but respectful of the home's history.
Although the entire home is lovely, the most jealousy-inducing space might be the dining room, with folding doors that open it up to the terrace, making the entire space a big outdoor room. It's the perfect spot to work, or linger over dinner with friends. And for those of you who enjoy a good bath, the spacious second-floor bathroom may have you feeling a little green. When the house was remodeled before the family moved in, Hannah converted this room, formerly a bedroom, into the bathroom, and turned the existing bathroom into the master closet. Worried that the bathroom-turned-closet would be too dark, she came up with a clever solution — a glass-backed bookcase that faces the landing and transmits light into the space, without sacraficing privacy.
All over the house you'll spot artworks, like the framed black sea fan and pressed orchids, that are created by Hannah and are available in her shop. These, along with the other assorted treasures displayed throughout the house, give the home a sort of curiosity-shop feel. There's quite a lot to see, so come on in and take a look around.
And if you love Hannah's style and want to keep up with what she's doing, you can follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest, or check our her website.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: A mix of contemporary to classic mid-century modern style to antique nostalgic pieces. Personable.
Inspiration: Everything that makes me smile and feel warm — my childhood, my family, friends, garden, memories. If I see a piece of furniture I like, I have to position it in my mind and connect it to a favorite old blanket or cushion
Favorite Element: Lighting, I love my house at night, I love buying pendants and lamps. I love what lamps give to a space. They transform a space and enhance the elements around it.
Biggest Challenge: Living for 3 months without a kitchen, washing up in the bath, draining pasta on the street covered in dust!
What Friends Say: "Ohhh, I love your house" and "I wish I could make my house look like this" and "Your house works so well."
Biggest Embarrassment: Dust everywhere.
Proudest DIY: The glass-backed bookshelf on the landing. When we moved the bathroom, I was worried we would lose natural light where the door had been, so instead of filling it in we created a bookshelf backed with glass so the light from the original bathroom still comes through. On the other side it looks great too, as you can see the books through the glass in our walk-in wardrobe space. Also, my son's split level room in the attic space.
Biggest Indulgence: My Artemide Tolomeo Mega Terra Floor Lamp. I love it! — best buy ever! Not only does it look fantastic, but the parchment shade gives such a soft warm light. I love the way you can swing it around to create different moods in your space. I use it mostly for my work, but it's a perfect reading light too.
Best Advice: Don't ever concern yourself with what others think — create a space that works for you and your family, and bring your own character into your house. Don't be hasty — live in your space before making big decisions.
Dream Sources: Flea Markets, antique stores, Retrouvius, Baileys Home and garden, Kvadrat
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• Farrow and Ball : Elephants Breath – Master Bedroom
• Farrow and Ball : Cornforth White – Living Room
• Farrow and Ball : Hardwick White & Studio Green – Bathroom
• Farrow and Ball : Strong White–Spare room and boys rooms
• Stair Runner: Roger Oates
• Wallpaper: Cole & Son, Vivienne Westward - Squiggle
• Artemide Tolomeo Mega Terra Floor Lamp
• Plan Chest: Midcentury Modern Fair
• Glass cabinets: Antique shops
• Ekstrom Lamino Chair : Antique shop
• Amber glass jars: Baileys Home and garden
• Yellow buttoned armchair: Antique shop
• Table: Conran shop warehouse sale
• Pendant: John Lewis
• Chairs: Ebay
• Scaffolding shelves
• Artwork: https://www.hannahbrowninteriors.co.uk/
• Built-in shelving: custom made
• Corian worktop
• Butchers block: Gumtree
• Wallpaper: Cole & Son, woods by Michael Clarkson
• Welsh Blanket: Billie Jean, Bristol
• Trunk: Antique shop
• Bedspread: Billie Jean, Bristol
• Washstand: reclamation Yard
• Wall light: Artemide Tolomeo
• sofabed: Made
• Bath: Villeroy and Boch
• Mirror: Heals
• Pendant: reclamation Yard
• Cabinet: Ebay
• Marble shelf: reclamation Yard
• Artwork: https://www.hannahbrowninteriors.co.uk/
• Wall light: IKEA
• furniture: IKEA
• Wall shelves: Urban Outfitters
• Rug: Urban Outfitters
• Chair: Ebay
• Goats skin rug: Graham and Green
• Table Lamp: antique shop
• Parquet Side Table: Charity shop
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE: Check out past house tours here.
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.
Follow Apartment Therapy's board House Tours Apartment Therapy on Pinterest.
Updated daily with fresh tours full of photos for you to pin & enjoy!
(Image credits: Hannah Brown)