Happy First Day of Summer, everybody! I thought we could celebrate by brushing up on the skills that will allow each of us to be crowned 2013 Summer Queen/King...
- I attempted skipping rocks recently- for the first time in decades — and it was humiliating. Thank goodness for The Art Of Manliness' How To Skip A Stone: An Illustrated Guide. Time to practice, practice, practice.
- Camping For Families has tips for making perfect popcorn over the campfire using an old-fashioned popper, and Real Simple can teach you how to improvise a popper using only foil, string, and a stick.
- If you're still hungry, Kinfolk put together a lovely video on how to make Campfire Twist Bread. The recipe was originally in their Summer 2012 issue, and I've been obsessed with it ever since.
- And if your campfire is rained out and your popcorn is soggy, Wired has tips for how to Keep Little Campers Occupied In Stormy Weather.
- Not to brag or anything, but I have always been very popular with mosquitoes. Perhaps the CDC's Preventing Mosquito bites can help — or perhaps I'm simply irresistible.
- My gaggle of cousins and I went canoeing every summer when I was growing up, but I could definitely use a refresher. Canoeing: How To Keep the Inside Dry and the Outside Wet from the Art Of Manliness is utterly fascinating.
- The Kitchn collected 6 Ways To Make Ice Cream Without an Ice Cream Machine. I love ice cream AND I don't have an ice cream maker!
- Don't the grown-up friends who have helped you moved and supported you through thick and thin and everything in between deserve friendship bracelets just as much as your childhood friends did? The Purl Bee will help you make fabulous ones worthy of them.
- If you weren't scared off fireworks when you found out how hot sparklers are (3000ºF!), be sure to peruse Wired's How To Stage A Fireworks Show Safely.