Late last month the New York Times
had an interesting piece about Matthew Waletzke
, a self-proclaimed “building biology” consultant; he's hired to snoop and measure a myriad of possible contaminants that might be polluting the home. Included in his survey is measurements for excessive electromagnetic frequencies (EMF for those who want to be down with the industry lingo), which can come from just about anything plugged into your home and whose effects are highly disputed. At $375 for a 3 hour evaluation
, the service doesn't come cheap. But we do believe there are people out there who are more sensitive to certain chemical and energy sources, even though we've yet to experience any problems with the small space filled with plugged-in tools here in our own home office/apartment.
“People have different capacities for toxins, toxins being the water in the rain barrel,” he said. “When their barrel cracks, it can’t hold as much. Or, going back to real life, they can’t handle toxins the way they used to. I know a woman so chemically sensitive she’s living in Woodstock with the electricity turned off because the EMF’s make her sick. She can’t go shopping like a normal person, because the chemicals in the products on the aisles, or the fluorescent lights, set her off.” - Matthew Waletzke
Have you experienced any issues with technology affecting your health in the home? And if so, were you able to pinpoint and fix the problem?
[Photo: Evan Sung for The New York Times]