Durable, weatherproof furniture doesn't necessarily have to be uncomfortable—patios have a short shelf life as far as months go and it's high time we take advantage. The latest designs in plush eco-friendly outdoor sofas range from the expected (albeit stylish) teak to some totally Modernist stuff that beg for your caboose. Kick back and take a load off—we've laid out some ideas for you below the jump.
(Shown above the jump, from left to right)
1. Patioland's Aventura Collection (set, $1,047, includes a loveseat, two chairs and a coffee table) is made of 100 percent recycled PVC. Polyester cushions are available in off-white or punchy orange.
2. Fine Garden Products' sculptural Mocha Eco-Friendly Patio Sofa ($2,998) is made of hand-woven lianas gathered from the jungle floor in Thailand. The black leather pillow fabric is weatherproof.
3. With a frame of responsibly sourced solid teak, the Algarve deep-seating sofa from Kingsley-Bate ($1,575) features roomy, 25"-wide cushions covered in durable Sunbrella fabric.
4. Another find from Fine Garden Products: the Vining Eco-Friendly Patio Sofa ($3,297) is a curvaceous vision in chartreuse. Its frame is made from woven liana vines.
5. Maku, a leader in minimalist reclaimed-teak furniture, offers an outdoor sofa ($1,311) with four options for cushion colors (sold separately).
6. The cocoon-like Envelope Sustainable Patio Sofa/Daybed (from $3,597) is made from liana vines and reclaimed wood from Thailand; it's also available with a rattan overlay.
7. Traditionalists will favor Crate and Barrel's Trovata Sofa ($1,549), made of plantation-grown teak supported by TFT, a nonprofit dedicated to responsible forest management.