One of my earliest memories of spending time with my grandfather was watching him stand over an array of small pots in the dining room, carefully checking their growth. He explained to me that soon they would be ready to go outside in the garden, and eventually they would become vegetables. Not being super keen on some vegetables as a child, I had to squelch the desire to sabotage his budding collection waiting to be moved to the big plot outside.
1. Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine (iOS), Free.
2. Garden Time Planner (iOS & Android), Free.
3. Plant Encyclopedia (Windows 8), Free.
4. Garden Guide HD! (iPad), $1.99.
5. Garden Design Ideas (Android), Free.
6. Essential Garden Guide (iPad & Android), $1.99.
7. Gardening Tips (Windows 8), Free.
8. GardenMinder (iOS), Free.
9. Vegetable Gardening Guide (Android & iOS), $2.99.
10. iScape Free (iOS), Free.
Here are a few additional posts from our archives to get your plants started right, from the backyard to balcony-friendly container gardening:
- Garden Design Dilemmas: The Rectangular Urban Garden
- Front Yard Vegetable Gardens
- 5 Fear-Conquering Tips For First Time Gardeners
- 7 Great Container Garden How-To's
(Images: Joelle Alcaidinho, all others as linked above)