Often when we see vintage style nurseries, they're the only part of the home with this vibe, but in this residence, Henry's weet little sleep space is a perfect extension of his parents' vintage style and it feels right at home.
Jamie of Desert Fete put together a beautiful room for her son Henry. She and her husband are into vintage finds and their home is filled with treasures from years gone by. They've infused Henry's room with their love of all things old and funky and added a bit of Scandinavian flair.
This room will not only grow with Henry, but be able to easily integrate new purchases or thrifted finds. Jamie worries the room might feel a little cluttered, but it's a relaxed, go-with-the-flow space with loads of character. Jamie tell us more about putting Henry's room together:
What is your favorite element in the room? Seeing bits and peices of our lives repurposed and reinvisioned for our little guy, mixed in with our daydreams about his childhood ahead.
What was your inspiration for the room? The desert/vintage/our baby/play.
What is your biggest challenge? Editing!
What do your friends say about the room? "Can I move in?"
What was your biggest indulgence? The String Pocket Shelves! So not necessary, but so lovely!
What advice would you give to someone designing a nursery or children's room for the first time? Keep it simple! We edited out so many ideas and I still think it is a bit much. Also, I tried to stick with stuff he would grow into and use for a long time.
• Cub Crib: David Netto via Craigslist
• Lamp: Icosa (Found on clearance at Design Public thanks to a savvy reader)
• Wall Shelves: String Pocket Shelves from Scandinavian Design Center
• Toy bench: Inspired by Made by Joel and fabricated by our friend Francis
• Frames: IKEA Ribba
• Book Ledge: IKEA Ribba
• Baby Gym: IKEA Leka
• Floppy Felt Baskets: Fuz via Actual
• Fox: Etsy seller Sleepy King
• Organic Grey Bedding: Cribbedding.com
• Wool Blanket: Pendleton
• Striped Jumpsuit (my favorite outfit): Toobydoo
• Owl Piggy Bank: Progress
• Rug: IKEA
• Grey Paint: Behr in Dark Granite
• The little bunting and the wood numbers above the books I made. And the printing on the pillow in his crib. For the most part everything else was repurposed from the rest of the house, almost all vintage stuff we already owned. Plus there's a few post pregnancy vintage finds, and some gifts as well.
Thanks, Jamie! Readers, find Jamie at A Desert Fete.
(Images: A Desert Fete)
• KIDS ROOM TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past tours here.
• ROOM SUBMISSIONS Have a kid's space you'd like to share? In addition to working with some readers to feature full tours, we share the best as "My Room" posts on Ohdeedoh -- short, quick tours of great rooms. Submit yours here.