If you're looking for classic furniture that's all about form and function, Herman Miller takes the cake. Designers like Ray and Charles Eames and George Nelson helped define the mid century modern classics we love. New designers are pushing the envelope, continuing to build the brand that has evolved over the past century.
1. Eames Molded Plastic Chair: The first industrially manufactured plastic chair, designed by Ray and Charles Eames, is a mid century classic.
2. Noguchi Table: This table, designed by sculptor Isamu Noguchi, bridges the gap between sculpture and practicality.
3. : Nelson Thin Edge Group: George Nelson's classic design has stood the test of time, with over sixty years in production.
4. Nelson Coconut Chair: This iconic piece is one of the many items Nelson created while director or design at Herman Miller from 1945-1972.
5. Magis Chair_One: A diversion from the mid century classics, this chair designed by Konstantin Grcic is part of the Herman Miller Collection. It's an homage to the classics that creatively integrates new ideas about form and materiality.
6. Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman: This lounge is a real work of art, on display at the MoMA, and part of what defines the mid century modern aesthetic.
MORE HERMAN MILLER ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Herman Miller's Inspirational Video Series: Why Design
• Alexander Girard Exhibit at Herman Miller NEOCON 2012
(Images as credited above.)