The last time we owned a television it was one of those big, old, boxy tube types that weighed more than an average adult. When we downsized from a larger home into our 850 square foot condo, the TV was added to the pile of things that were too cumbersome for our new streamlined life. Now, four years later, Santa brought us a new flat screen television. While I'm happy to be able to watch DVDs on something other than a computer, I was enjoying the fact that we didn't have a television on view in our home. Solution? Make a cover the for the new TV…
When I unwrapped our new television on Christmas, I almost immediately started thinking about how I would make it work in our home. I quickly ascertained that I would want to make a cover for the TV so that even when it isn't in use, it will still add some style to our home. After a trip to the fabric store, where I scored a grab bag of felt pieces, I was all set to turn the TV into art.
To make the TV cover, I first did a Google image search for TV test patterns. I wanted the colors I used in my test pattern to be as authentic as possible. With an image as a guide, I cut the felt pieces for that would become the test pattern (third image). Once all the pieces were cut, I sewed them all together then put the test pattern aside while I cut the pieces for the cover.
The cover itself was a matter of measuring the television — approximately 19" wide, 13" high and 4" deep. I cut out five pieces of felt — two 20" x 14" pieces for the front and back, two 4" x 14" pieces for the sides, and one 4" x 20" piece for the top. Before I could sew the cover together, however, I first had to attach the test pattern to the front panel. I did this by first sewing the test pattern piece directly onto the front panel with a straight stitch. Then, I went back and sewed around the edges with a zig-zag stitch. Inspiration struck before I started to sew the cover pieces together; I decided to add pockets to the back panel. One pocket is sized for the remote control and the other for Netflix envelopes.
With the test pattern and pockets sewn onto the panels, I stitched all the pieces together. After all the seams were stitched, I turned the new cover right-side-out and slipped it over the TV. And now we have a TV that is hidden in plain sight!
SEE ALSO: TV Shame: New Ways to Hide the Television
Images: Jason Loper