Here's a solution for mismatched furniture: add two-tone pieces. A black dresser with drawers painted white recently landed in our newlywed apartment, and the color combo allows us to mix traditional furniture from family with our few new modern pieces. From what we've found, our solution is trending at retail furniture stores...
• 1 DwellStudio for Target's Silver Lake line
• 2 Crate & Barrel's Delano collection
• 3 Pottery Barn's Audrey collection
• 6 Urbancase's The Bahn credenza at Velocity Art & Design
• 9 Put two IKEA Expedit bookcases next to each other, and they look like a two-tone bookcase.
• 10 Another option is to find a dresser from a yard sale or Craigslist and paint it two-tone yourself. It needs some touching up, but we were lucky enough to find this one already painted on Craigslist.