Spring Cleaning Month is almost over. Has it inspired you to clean? We've been admiring the spring cleaning tips of other AT bloggers, but want to come clean (pardon the pun) on what really motivates us: stories of extreme hoarders. Not just the average clutterers, but the unbelievably sad and scary stories of people who didn't clean for years and years... and years. Disclaimer: before you click below, be warned that these stories are NOT for the meek of heart...
Top Hoarder Horror Stories that Motivate Us to Clean:
Inside the Lives of Hoarders with Peter Walsh on The Oprah Show. This show reminds of us of the serious health hazards of hoarding, for instance the toxicity of mold. Some of the Oprah cleanup crew developed rashes that had to be medically treated while cleaning up this home.
• Ghosty Men: The Strange but True Story of the Collyer Brothers and My Uncle Arthur, New York's Greatest Hoarders (An Urban Historical) by Franz Lidz. A must-read book for any hoarder aficionado about the famous Colyer brothers who lived in a run-down Harlem brownstone.
• Possessed: a documentary about hoarders. The 2008 film examines the lives of four hoarders and how hoarding is very much connected to emotional issues.
• TLC - Help! I'm a Hoarder. You can watch the TLC 2007 special (which has been replayed a lot because of its popularity) on YouTube.
• Grey Gardens is about the eccentric Jacqueline Kennedy relatives and has been getting a lot of press, mostly because of the recent HBO film. We hear that the original documentary The Beales of Grey Gardens (1976) is the one to watch.
• ABC News 20/20 Hoarders. This ABC news special has received great reviews.
Related AT Posts
• Apartment Therapy On... Being a Pack Rat
• Tips: Detaching Yourself (Rationally) from Your Books
• Insane Girl Clutter
• Why We Hang Onto Stuff And Why It's OK To Let It Go
• Are We Addicted To Org Porn?
Do hoarder horror stories motivate you to clean?
(Images: The Oprah Winfrey Show)