Simple, pretty, and inexpensive to make — what's not to like about the paper snowflakes of our youth? Whether you decide to use old packaging paper, cupcake liners, doilies, or even junk mail, check out these 10 crafty ideas to get you started on your holiday decorating.
1. Doily Snowflake Garland, DIY from Design Sponge: cut snowflakes from paper doilies, and string them together with clear fishing line to make winter wonderland garland.
2. Handmade Snowflake Mobile, DIY from Creature Comforts: they use old packaging paper, but suggest that tissue paper would work well, too.
3. Bottles with Cut Paper Snowflakes, DIY from Creature Comforts: use leftover snowflakes from your handmade snowflake mobile to dress up some bottles for your holiday tabletop or mantle.
4. Paper Doilies Gift Wrapping, DIY from Robbie & Erin: use paper doilies, or try cutting your own from old paper, to decorate your holiday presents.
5. Handmade Snowflake Lino Wrapping Paper, DIY from Gemma Garner: jazz up your brown kraft paper with a Scandinavian inspired snowflake print.
6. Junk Mail Snowflake Present Toppers, DIY from Michele Made Me: instead of using a bow or ribbon, try turning your old mail into one of these snowflake present toppers.
7+8. Snowflake Window Panel and Snowflake Pendant Light, DIYs from Design Sponge: tape snowflakes together and hang over a window for a lacy effect or create a hanging light shade.
9. Snowflake Garland, DIY from Nifty Thrifty Things: string together snowflakes for a 3D garland that would be pretty hanging on a mantel or around a window.
10. Woodland Snowflakes, DIY from Pretty Ditty: wrap some fallen twigs with pretty colored thread to create handmade ornaments, package toppers, or house decorations.
And if you need a paper snowflake refresher course, Martha Stewart has a helpful pictorial tutorial. Happy crafting!
(Image credits: Design Sponge; Creature Comforts; Robbie & Erin; Gemma Garner; Michele Made Me; Design Sponge; Nifty Thrifty Things; Pretty Ditty)