The team here at Apartment Therapy hope that you've remained safe during this viscous wave of fires occurring all across the Southland. The Santa Anas are blowing something wicked, and fires have sprouted all across from San Diego to just north of LA County. This might be a good time to take these precautionary steps for home fire safety:
1. At least one smoke detector is located on every floor of my home.
2. Smoke detectors are placed near bedrooms, either on the ceiling or 6-12 inches below the ceiling on the wall.
3. Smoke detectors are tested according to manufacturer's instructions on a regular basis (at least once a month) and are kept in working condition at all times.
4. Batteries are replaced according to manufacturer's instructions, at least annually.
5. Batteries are never disconnected.
6. The detector has a distinct warning signal that can be heard whether asleep or awake.
7. The fire department number is posted on every telephone.
8. Create an escape plan from each part of the home.
9. Store fire extinguishers in easily accessible areas in the kitchen and in the garage.
10. Be aware of overloading extension cords or using portable space heaters too close to combustibles. Nearly 1,000 lives are lost to fires that start in bedrooms.