Designer: Jen Chu of Jen Chu Design
Client: Sandy Chu — Mom!
Location: Foster City, California
Brooklyn-based DIY enthusiast Jen Chu shares one of her latest projects — the makeover of her Mom's home office in the Bay Area.
It is often a challenge designing for family or close friends. Fortunately, my mom is super hip and is accustomed to me tearing up the house, trying out new decor styles. The home office is where she spends most of her time when she's at home working, watching TV, reading, and relaxing. She trusted me to do whatever I wanted in her home office (score!), and I knew immediately how the room should feel: organized, comfortable, and a little fancy.
I was always a fan of the wide stripe we used on the Project Runway All Star Challenge, so I opted for the same paint treatment in my mom's office. As a multi-purpose room, my biggest challenge was incorporating closed storage that isn't ugly and doesn't take up floor space. I searched endlessly through every store from Room & Board to IKEA for pieces that fit the space perfectly. My favorite element in the room is the gray and white trimmed cabinets. I bought kitchen cabinets from IKEA and embellished them myself.
- Colors: Benjamin Moore Wet Concrete and Hazelwood.
- Rug: Williams Sonoma (discontinued)
- Cabinets: Akurum from IKEA (customized)
- Desk: Delano from Target
- Chair: Craigslist, painted and reupholstered
- Sofa and ottoman: Ian from Room & Board
- Side table: TJ Maxx
- Pillows: from a home store in Taiwan
- Shoe cabinet: Stall from IKEA
- TV console: Antique Black 2-Door Buffet from Target
Images: Jen Chu
MORE JEN CHU PROJECTS
• Before, Before, Before, Before & After: 1 Bedroom 4 Roommates
• Small Space Entertaining: Jen Chu's Dumpling Party & Supper Club
• Katie's New Brooklyn Bedroom by Andrea Ivory
• Before & After: Chi's Childhood Room
PROFESSIONAL PROJECT SUBMISSION FORM
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Project Submission Form.