Skill Level: Easy
Time Required: 1 Hour (to make a batch of 10)
Project Cost: $4-5 (with supplies left over)
There is something about the jewel tones and gold of these agate ornaments that looks so nice against the green of a Christmas tree. They stand out, sparkle, and elevate your decorations into something stylish and chic.
- Metal ornament hooks
- Agate slices with pre-drilled holes
- Leafing Sealer
- Leafing Adhesive
- Gold leaf sheet
Ornate gold beads (similar to these)
Soap and water
- Start by cleaning the agate slices with a little soap and water and let dry completely to ensure no residual debris will prevent the gold leaf from adhering properly.
- Paint on a thin layer of adhesive along the edge of one slice. Let it dry for a few seconds then press the gold leaf onto the adhesive. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Paint on a coat of sealer and set on a non-stick surface to dry.
- Once dry, attach a metal ornament hook, string on a few ornate beads, and hang on a your Christmas tree branches!
Many thanks to Corinna for sharing how to make these chic agate ornaments. Find more detailed info and photos on her blog, For My Love Of.
This month, Apartment Therapy is featuring homemade gift ideas made and submitted by you, the readers. Check back every day for a new project, or head over to see all the DIY gift ideas from 2014 and years' past.