If you'll be getting a kick out of dyeing eggs this weekend and are so over PAAS as a decor source, try some all-natural ingredients as opposed to the certified blends (that include colors synthesized from petroleum derivatives and even coal tar). We found these suggestions from Care2 Green Living: have any extra coffee, red onion skins or beets around? A great, extensive list below:
Some of these materials work best when they are boiled with the eggs (they will be noted below), and some work well made ahead and used by dipping or soaking the eggs. If you are using juice, just use it straight. Bulky materials will be boiled with the eggs or boiled and allowed to cool for dipping. The longer you let the eggs soak, the more intense the color will be (for the boiled versions, you can remove them from the heat and allow to cool in the dye bath).
You can use your favorite egg-dying tricks here as well: Like crayons for a batik effect or rubber bands for a tie-dye effect. If you like a glossy egg, you can rub the dyed eggs with vegetable oil when they are dry.
- Red onion skins, use a lot (boil with eggs)
- Pomegranate juice
- Yellow onion skins (boil with eggs)
- Lemon or orange peel (boil with eggs)
- Carrot tops (boil with eggs)
- Celery seed (boil with eggs)
- Ground cumin (boil with eggs)
- Ground turmeric (boil with eggs)
- Dill seeds (boil with eggs)
- Strong coffee
- Instant coffee
- Black walnut shells (boil with eggs)
- Bright green apple peels (boil with eggs)
- Spinach leaves (boil with eggs)
- Canned blueberries and their juice
- Red cabbage leaves (boil with eggs)
- Purple grape juice
- Violet blossoms
- Red onion skins, less amount than you need to make red (boil with eggs)
- Diluted purple grape juice
- Violet blossoms plus squeeze of lemon (boil with eggs)
- Beets, fresh or canned
- Cranberries or cranberry juice
- Red grape juice
All info and image via Care2 Green Living; article by Melissa Breyer, Senior Producer, Care2 Green Living
Visit Ohdeedoh to see a reader's fab natural egg dye designs here.
Visit the Kitchn for various posts related to Easter.